Keeping your drains running smoothly is an essential part of managing a household or business. Blocked drains can cause a great deal of hassle and inconvenience, and can be costly to repair. If you’re in Plymouth, England, and dealing with regular drain blockages, it’s time to take preventative measures. Here are some top tips for maintaining your drainage system to prevent blocked drains in Plymouth.
1. Discard Grease Properly: One of the most common reasons drains get blocked is due to grease and oil. When poured down the sink, these substances can congeal and harden in the pipes, causing blockages. Instead of pouring used cooking oil or grease down the drain, let it cool, put it in a sealable container, and then dispose of it in the trash bin.
2. Be Mindful of What You Flush: Another common cause of blocked drains is flushing inappropriate items down the toilet. Only biodegradable toilet paper should go down the toilet. Avoid flushing items such as paper towels, baby wipes, sanitary products, and similar items as they do not break down easily and can quickly block the drain.
3. Use Drain Guards: Install sink and shower drain guards to catch food particles, hair, and other debris that could potentially cause a blockage. Regularly clean these guards to keep them effective.
4. Regularly Clean Drains: A simple yet effective tip is to clean your drains regularly with hot water and a drain-safe cleaning solution. This can help dissolve small, forming blockages and keep your pipes clear.
5. Dispose of Food Waste Properly: Rather than washing leftover food down the drain, dispose of waste properly in your trash bin or compost heap. Using a sink garbage disposal can also be helpful. If pieces of food make their way into the pipes, they can decompose and cause unpleasant smells or even blockages.
6. Avoid Planting Trees Near Sewer Lines: Tree roots can intrude into your sewer lines causing significant blockages. If you’re planning your garden, make sure to keep trees a safe distance from your sewer system.
7. Regular Professional Check-ups: Don’t underestimate the value of regular professional check-ups. Plumbing experts can inspect your drains and pipes for early signs of blockages, corrosion, or damage, and address these issues before they lead to more serious problems.
8. Install a Lint Catcher: A lint catcher on your washing machine’s blocked drains plymouth discharge hose can be a real drain saver. It can prevent lint, a notorious drain clogger, from being washed into the drainage system.
9. Educate the Household: Finally, ensuring everyone in the house understands the importance of drain maintenance and what should or shouldn’t go down the drains can really help keep drains clear and functioning.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can avoid the headaches and cost associated with blocked drains. However, if you’re experiencing repeated problems with your drains, it’s always best to call in professionals. If you’re in Plymouth, there are plenty of experienced, reliable plumbers who can help manage any drainage issues you might have.
Prevention is always better than cure, and with these tips, you can enjoy an efficiently running drain system for a long time. Remember that the key to avoiding blocked drains is regular maintenance and conscious usage. Treat your drains right, and they’ll keep performing optimally without giving you any trouble.